Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Homeless

The state in which I live has a humongous homeless problem. I have even heard that there are agreements with this state to have homeless people from other states sent here on a one-way plane ticket. Why? As crazy and unbelievable as it may sound, the answer is *drumroll*: the weather. This climate is somehow conducive to living a lifestyle that somehow doesn't require shelter. I guess a few palm trees for shade, the wind for breeze and the ocean as a shower. I do not know, but what I do know is this: the strong survive.

I grew up in a very sheltered environment. On a military base everyone is accounted for with an identification card or a guest pass. There is no such thing as homelessness. There may be the occasional runaway, but they would not get too far before security found them and returned them home or wherever they belonged. It seems amazing that I was not fazed by the sight of barb-wire or guns but I had never heard of a homeless person and the concept was hard to grasp.

In fourth grade, my teacher mentioned homeless people and I wanted to take action to solve the issue. I couldn't imagine not having shelter. It was one of the most basic needs and to know that men, women and children lived on the streets made me disgusted. It still bothers me to this day but strangely enough, there are pretend homeless.

I have heard that there are people with lots and lots of money who beg for money instead of working. For some reason, such men approach me. A lot of eccentric people approach me but when someone has a large starbucks cup and asks me for a few dollars, that is a problem. When someone has a cardboard sign and his iphone, I find it hard to believe he is in dire need of money. What I always fail to understand is why they believe I can spare any change?! Do I look like Human Resources?

No comments:

Post a Comment