Sunday, August 21, 2011

Starving

I was watching a news magazine show on The Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) and it reminded me of the saying: "out of sight, out of mind," because I had completely forgotten about those in dire need of food in America. I don't mean to sound as though I am on a pedestal. I am very thankful that I have food to eat but in a country where there are stores overflowing with food, countless food and restaurant chains and an obesity epidemic, I--thankfully--have enough food to eat and I always notice that people are eating.

There is no worse place to be poor than in Ameica. I grew up all over the world and I was completely ignorant of homelessness and people without enough to eat. Juxtapose myself to my father who grew up with only rice and bread to eat. My father would have been similar to the child on the television show that did not know that it was "common" to have three meals a day and that when asked the names of the three meals, instead named the foods that he ate. My father grew up in a neighborhood similar to where the story took place: Camden, New Jersey. These poor areas of the U.S. are so dangerous that one cannot walk down the street without having one's guard up and anticipating a crime to occur.

I guess my father didn't tell me a lot about being poor because it was painful and he wanted to protect me. However, ignorance hurt because I am someone who loves problem-solving. I do not understand why the foods that are unopened and about to expire shortly cannot be donated to the food banks or other charities. I do not know if this is happening but I would like to propose that idea to every business that sells foods and those members in Congress so that everyone will be fortunate enough to eat.

Life, for me, has always been about experiences over material things. In Europe, it is part of the culture to sit down and enjoy meals by savoring the flavors of the foods and wine, having good conversations, and having a festive atmosphere.

I will propose the idea about the expired food thing to the White House--they are probably sick of me having opinions about everything and other government officials as well as stores. I hope that some good will come out of it and the corporations may even be able to receive a tax break for their philanthropy.       

No comments:

Post a Comment