Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blogging has gone to the dogs

After I post my blog, I often view the blogs after mine. They are randomly selected but the two main topics seem to be dogs and God. God versus gods because they are predominantly Christian blogs. I do not have a problem with either but I felt completely insulted after reading, "Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me" and the final chapter was "written" by her dog.

Chelsea does this as a deliberate insult to her audience. She often makes self-effacing comments about the popularity of her show and her books being on the New York Times' Bestsellers list. I believe the anthropomorphizing of dogs is commonplace in contemporary society and this--as well as--the befriending of our technology is eerie.

I cannot feign that I dislike technology but smartphones, Ipads and too many other gadgets hold our attention in the same manner as a completely dependent newborn requires. I heard on the news that adolescents are going to the doctor with something labeled "text neck" from looking down at their phones!

Dog blogs, God blogs, and phones that are entertaining make me wish for simplicity.     

No comments:

Post a Comment