Thursday, March 17, 2011

UCLA must be a huge fan of legacy admissions

I try to remain optimistic and give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but there will always be an exception--watch at your own risk:




 Supposedly--and I am saying supposedly, because UCLA has name recognition, and was once considered a "selective" higher learning institution: composed of intelligent students; this young lady is a UCLA student. That she was admitted to UCLA and that she uses the library were the only two things that I found shocking. Legacy admissions are not controversial--opposed to affirmative action, so many may not be aware that they exist. Legacy, which I am hoping is how she was admitted, is the old boy's network at its finest. It is the name dropping way of entering college. Many assume that is how George W. Bush attended Yale. I believe that G.W. could have also attended due to his celebrity, which is also a great,unmeritorious way to attend college. These students are usually sought after and it is in this great book "A Is for Admission: The Insider's Guide to Getting into the Ivy League and Other Top Colleges" by Michele A. Hernandez. I read this book in hopes of attending Graduate School. That hope died, but for anyone who still believes in higher education, I highly recommend it.

Back to Ms. UCLA's rant: Racism, apparently, is a system that has worked very well for her. I believe that she has a future as a Fox News broadcaster--perhaps, she has already had an internship with them. She manipulated the tags and used a natural disaster to propagate her hateful view of Asians. She even went as far as to mention that she understands that their family members are calling them out of concern and she remained angry at the Asian--specifically Asian, because no other race uses or has ever used a cell phone in the library. It is sad. There is a culture of negativity and her shameless, disgustingly selfish views cannot, in any way, be beneficial to UCLA. I am sure that the school has already distanced itself from her. I hope that everyone in Japan is healing and that they receive the help that they need. If there is anything that I can do, please leave a comment. I advise everyone to beware of scams because, just as the UCLA student, there are too many opportunists/scavengers/vultures out there--despite the do-gooders. 




No comments:

Post a Comment