Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Great Example of a Double Standard

"The hypocrisy of Democracy"--Chris Rock.

I dislike the term, "anti-war". I prefer that the protesters are called pro-peace. The protesters had an official order to not hold their demonstrations in front of The White House, but did so, and were arrested. From the news link, it seemed peaceful and it had a well-educated crowd--it included Daniel Ellsberg--but they disobeyed an order and were arrested.

Too bad this logic does not apply to the families of fallen soldiers, who cannot draft such orders when they have the religious zealots spreading fake information, and being rowdy outside of their relatives' funerals. Their erratic behavior is viewed as tolerable and is protected under The First Amendment. . .I am far too logical.

I have never felt the need to be on one side or the other. I always hope for peace, and until it occurs, I try to reason what is best to help those devastated by war. This may seem contradictory, but I refuse to be as naive as to believe that my vote counts, I know that it does not, and that my voice will be heard, I have written those in government and have not received any responses. I know that a lot of what is said is said, "in theory". It appears contradictory that we are supportive of protests in other countries but angered by those in our own.



It seems as though these wars: Iraq and Afghanistan, and the new bombing campaign in Libya are testing our rights. Do the American people want more wars? I want peace. We have tried war for too long: Afghanistan marking the longest U.S. War in American history.

Here is the link to the AP story about the protesters:
U.S. Protesters arrested at the White House

No comments:

Post a Comment