Sunday, February 20, 2011

Kanye West's "All of the lights" video

Kanye West, in my opinion, is one of the greatest artists in the music industry. The video for his single, "All of the lights," was released recently and it made me realize a few things. Youtube and other sites broadcasts music faster than television. I used to have to wait until MTV or another music channel broadcast the video, but now, the internet is my source for the majority of videos that I search for and watch. Also, it gives the individual the power to change the official video to one that matches their imagination and creativity. I was under the impression that the video was a tribute to Michael Jackson. The video begins with a child walking and candles. I liked this idea because apparently the video takes places in Chicago. The Chicago setting is significant because children have been caught in the crossfire of drive byes and other instances of gun violence. Candlelight vigils are often commonplace to bring awareness to the issue and to pay homage to the victims. I visualized the child walking to light a candle for one of the innocent victims killed on their way to school and Kanye showing candlelight vigils for Micheal Jackson, civilians, troops, an international level of the power of mourning. Reggie Doucet was shot by an LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department) officer in January of 2011. His family and friends continue to get tattoos in his memory and question whether it was negligent homicide--on account of the LAPD. I did not know Reggie Doucet, but a friend of mine was very close to him. I would have expected Kanye to have planned this video to where it praised his mother, as well, who has passed on. I hope that someone on Youtube or another blog site can create a video that, in my opinion, lives up to the great song.     

No comments:

Post a Comment