Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Civil Unions

The next legal hurdle that the U.S. Supreme Court must make revisions to in order for our country to progress is civil unions. This is not simply about homosexuals having the right to enter into marriage. This is also about other relationships where one party wishes to give their benefits to an heir. For example, my parent was in the military for 20 years. To the best of my knowledge, if that parent wished to bequeath me any of their benefits, it would not be permissible. However, as the military so often does, the spouse is automatically granted access to such benefits. Spouses divorce, but children are forever. That is unfair. My parent has told me that they had wanted to give me the G.I. Bill but at the time, and even today, was unable to do so. I have to research this because there have been a lot of revisions to the G.I. Bill and other benefits but that is what I was told the last time that I questioned it. Someone who has earned benefits or other assets should have the right to distribute them as they please. I would also like to see homosexuals with the right to enter these unions because I want everyone to have the same rights as me. I would also like it so that someone who has earned something can have true ownership over its legacy. With the Middle Class in a crisis, we must adjust the laws so that the Middle Class does not disappear entirely. The Constitution was written ambiguously in order for change. I hope that President Obama considers such changes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment