Thursday, July 7, 2011

We Can Define Marriage but We Cannot Define Love

Who killed Caylee Anthony? The Anthony Case has once again made a mockery of the so-called justice system. Lindsay Lohan should play Casey Anthony in a biopic. They share the same disregard for laws and decency and they both have a tattoo that states "the good life" in Italian. Criminals that operate with impunity is good to some, but their complete lack of integrity I find, personally, disgusting.

I have strong moral convictions. I would like to think that they came from growing up in the Military community, but I believe that it has a lot to do with the journey that I have taken in becoming self-educated. I recently discovered that a friend's parents--retired military, are strongly opposed to their daughter's homosexuality. At first, I found this hard to believe, but then, I postulated that some retired military in my parents' generation share that same attitude towards homosexuals. Some people in the contemporary do, too, but thankfully there are laws being passed that will educate us all as to what it is like to be a member of humanity.

I must reiterate that it is inhumane to not consider someone's feelings. Being that we are sentient beings, how can we not find empathy in the plight of homosexuals wanting the same love and access to their government that we want for ourselves? I learned from the book, "Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy," by Richard O'Conner, that rats laughed. As soon as I discovered this, I felt bad. Rats are used for experimentation; rats are regarded as being lowly, disgusting creatures, but that they share this positive trait with me (their DNA is very close to humans, but this didn't have the same impact as laughing on me) made me relate to them on a level that I did not imagine possible. We need to exploit our similarities in order to appreciate our differences. 

I believe that we all know someone who is gay, but they have not come out yet. I think that is the attitude that we must have when lending empathetic ears and conversing with others. Everyone deserves love and laughter. To silence the laughter of a rat still pains me. To finally have New York legalize gay marriage and the United Nations pass laws regarding homosexuals demonstrates that we are able to exercise the neuroplasticity of our brains and  increasing the love in our hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment